On Saturday 14th July head to the Angell Estate to join the Big Lunch! There will be family activities, food and entertainment – please bring a dish along to share! The event takes place at and around the Angell Delight Community Project on Overton Road beside the Emmaus shop.
For more information on event times, activities and anything else, contact Mary at the Angell Delight Community Project: email@example.com
Feedback from the first Remakery Maker Forum
On Thursday, 10 May the Remakery ran a Maker Forum, a social event for makers to discuss the practicalities and problems of being a maker, designer, artist or upcycler. A group of makers, prototypers, DIY organisers and researchers came to the event to share their thoughts and insights.
Here’s what we discussed:
– The reliance of makers and small businesses on ‘strength in numbers’ to raise their profile and to create resilience
– How physical and mental health shape and are affected by making (illnesses can limit accessibility and social interaction, organisations can exclude via their structure)
– How to develop more links between making at home or in a shared space and earning enough revenue to live in the city (selling items on a shop floor, sharing job opps, online stores)
– How places like the Remakery should be run in such a way as to support makers and encourage recognition of their skills, while also making skill share possible.
– What to do about the gap between the need for resources, tools and networks and the effort needed to actually provide, build & maintain them.
As a result of the forum we made some new whatsapp groups, planned an informal shop area at the front of the Remakery and planned some new project, skill and tool shares. The Remakery also took away some advice from makers on how to make a better support infrastructure for them, while also avoiding commercialisation or exclusivity. We will try our best to put this advice into action in a thoughtful way – we continue to learn from running the Remakery as an inclusive community workshop space, and the more feedback and contributions we have from members and volunteers, the more we can do!
The next Forum is on Thursday 21st June from 6-9pm. Since it’s the longest day of the year maybe we can hold it in the garden! See you then.
We are looking for more members! The Remakery, Brixton is a local hub for makers, repairers, researchers and small businesses. We offer affordable membership rates for designers and makers, who can use our workshop spaces and hot desking area flexibly to take their project from concept to outcome.
Membership allows access to the Remakery’s workshop spaces, which are equipped for woodwork and textiles as well as office spaces (with wifi) for research.
Membership rates are:
£18 per month for 10 hours
£50 per month for 30 hours
£90 per month for 60 hours
Visit the space for an introductory tour on Thursdays at 6pm, or to join straightaway visit remakery.org/membership/